Schedule & Rates
AAC Academy 2022 - Dates & News
The AAC Academy 2022 dates are up! Check out when the AAC Academy trainings will be offered in 2022.
Introduction to AAC is now be offered online! The online training worked so well in 2020 and 2021 that we've decided to continue to offer that training in this format. This allows for practitioners who live near and far from Texas State University to participate in the first part of the AAC Academy remotely, without having to reserve a hotel room or travel to San Marcos, TX. Please note that the other two trainings, Intermediate Methods and Practicum in AAC, are both in person trainings, because they involve both the practitioner and their animal partner.
If you are interested in applying for the AAC Academy 2022 cohort, please check out the Application page for information on when and how to apply.
|AAC Instruction||Training Dates||Early Bird Fee Due Date||Regular Rate Due Date|
|🐾||Introduction to Animal-Assisted Counseling (Online)||May 8, 15, 22, and 29, 2022 (Sundays), 6:30-8:30p CST||April 30, 2022||April 30, 2022|
|🐾||Intermediate Methods in Animal-Assisted Counseling||July 13-16, 2022, 9:00a-4:00p CST each day||April 30, 2022||July 1, 2022|
|🐾||AAC Team Evaluation||July 15-16, 2022 or August 2, 2022||April 30, 2022||*Included in IM in AAC rate|
|🐾||Practicum in Animal-Assisted Counseling||August 3-6, 2022, 9:00a-4:00p CST each day||April 30, 2022||July 29, 2022|
Choosing to specialize in animal-assisted counseling is a commitment - both financially and time-wise. AAC instruction involves reading, reflection, participation in intensive in-person trainings, at-home skills practice with your animal partner, clinical practice with your animal and volunteer clients, and AAC supervision. The AAC Academy provides a tremendous amount of instruction and support to help you and your therapy partner develop the skills and competence to be an effective counseling team.
The rates for the AAC Academy are generally less expensive than other AAT programs, which vary between $3,000 to $5,000. The differences between this program and other programs is that the AAC Academy:
- provides all the instruction and supervision you need to earn a Certification in Animal-Assisted Counseling
- aligns with the Animal-Assisted Therapy in Counseling Competencies, adopted by the American Counseling Association
- provides in-person instruction in a university setting
- both the practitioner and their animal partner receive hands-on instruction and support that prepares the practitioner/animal team for an AAC team evaluation
- practitioners and their animal partners receive clinical practice and supervision by an AAC supervisor in a supportive clinic environment,
- AAC teams receive professional pictures taken by the university photographer that they can use to promote their counseling practice
- practitioners participate in additional AAC clinical supervision to enhance and hone their AAC skills while they are working in their own practice settings
The fee for each four-day intensive cover:
- four days of in-person training (24 CEs),
- pre-training reading and preparation (16 CEs),
- a AAC Academy binder with handouts,
- a daily parking pass, and
- snacks (meals are on your own).
Students are responsible for purchasing learning materials, such as books. These costs are typically around $50-60 per training. Some materials are provided for free.
AAC Team Evaluation Fee
Dr. Elizabeth Hartwig and Hepzibah Hoffman-Rogers, CPDT, developed the AAC Team Evaluation. This evaluation assesses skills needed specifically for AAC. Participants will learn and practice AAC evaluation skills in the Intermediate Methods training, and then complete the evaluation after that training. The fee for the AAC Team Evaluation is $50 and is included in the Intermediate Methods in AAC rate.
Once your application has been reviewed and accepted, you will be provided information on how to register and pay. To secure your spot in the AAC Academy, you must pay the rate in full by the due dates listed on the website. If you do not pay by the due date, your spot may be given to another AAC Academy candidate.
Early Bird Rates
You can get a discounted rate for the AAC Academy by paying for all three four-day intensives up front. In order to complete the program, you need to participate in all three workshops, so this is a great option for participants. The 2022 early bird rate for all three intensives and the AAC Team Evaluation is:
- Student early bird rate: $2,250
- Professional early bird rate: $2,550
If you would prefer to pay for each workshop at a time, The 2022 regular rates for the AAC Academy are:
- Student regular rate (per intensive): $800 for Intro to AAC (both online and in person) and Practicum in AAC; $850 for Intermediate Methods in AAC (includes the AAC Team Evaluation fee)
- Professional regular rate (per intensive): $900 for Intro to AAC (both online and in person) and Practicum in AAC; $950 for Intermediate Methods in AAC (includes the AAC Team Evaluation fee)
Total for all three workshops paid separately: $2,450 for students and $2,750 for professionals.
The AAC Academy provides 30 hours of AAC supervision. In the Practicum in AAC training, participants receive 4 hours of live supervision and 16 hours of individual and group supervision, for a total of 20 hours of supervision. This supervision is included in the cost of the Practicum in AAC training.
Ten (10) hours of post-training supervision is a requirement for AAC certification. Post training supervision is provided in a HIPAA-compliant online format. The cost of post-training supervision is $75/hr x 10 supervision sessions ($750) or $650, if paid up front.
Total AAC Academy Program Cost
The total cost of the AAC Academy program, including all three trainings, the AAC Evaluation, and 10 sessions of AAC supervision is:
Early bird rates: $2,900 for students and $3,200 for professionals
Regular rates: $3,200 for students and $3,500 for professionals
Nonrefundable fees: There is a $50 nonrefundable fee for administrative costs associated with processing each payment.
Cancellations: Written cancellations received two weeks prior to the start of the intensive will receive a full refund. Cancellations within two weeks of the intensive, after the intensive, or no shows will incur a $100 nonrefundable fee. Participants who pay an early bird rate and request reimbursement for future trainings after attending one or more AAC trainings will be charged the regular rate for workshops attended.
Absence Policy: If a participant misses one day of the training for an emergency, the participant will make up the hours missed by participating in a make up session with Dr. Hartwig to cover the content and skills that were missed. The fee for the make up meeting is $200. If a participant misses more than one day of the training, the participant can receive a prorated refund and will be asked to retake the training with the next cohort.